Monday, August 25, 2008

Gears of War 2




Here's my problem with the upcoming Gears of War 2 game for the Xbox 360, it's not so much a problem but rather a simple wish from my brain to Cliff Bleszinski's brain. Please if you are going to say something is going to be longer than the original then make it longer than the original, don't say "it's going to be longer" and make it 7 hours as opposed to 6 hours, which is roughly the amount of time it took me to beat the first game. To be fair though, I suck at video games and played it on the easiest difficulty.

I love love love the idea behind making the Gears of War series, by all means this should be one of my most loved and cherished games. I mean he took the futuristic 'roided out style of all the sci fi action games coming out and added a Saving Private Ryan cinematic "brothers in arms" feel. See here for more information.

However, when I played the game I wasn't thinking, "damn this is a great game", I was thinking "damn this would make a great 2 hour movie", a scifi epic of massive proportions. And that was the issue when I beat Gears of War, sure it was fun, bloody as hell, but as far as games are concerned it didn't really add all that much to the genre. The cinematic feel was a welcome addition to gaming but in reality it's being done better by other people, such as Bioshock, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. I know I am going to get hated for this, but GOW was such an average and short game, I'd rather watch it again then play it again. So my wish to Cliff, is please make the badass game that we know you can make, it's ok to be cinematic but try and knock us on our asses with innovative gameplay as well that will make me come back for seconds.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

While the game was short, I wouldn't say it was average. I thought it was pretty stellar myself. However, I will admit that after I beat it the first time, I had little to no desire to play through the campaign again by myself. I think a better way to describe it would be to say that it was a great game, a little on the short side, that doesn't necessarily have the best replay qualities. I will say that while I didn't really want to play it through again by myself, playing it with a friend was still quite fun. So in short, Ty Ty the unquenchable, you are wrong. NOOOOOCH